What is Levofloxacin Meant For?
The prescription drug is available in the form of oral solution, tablet, and eye drops. The medicine prices are relatively lower than the rest of the brands that have a similar salt composition.
- The generic drug is available in the form of an oral tablet.
- Levofloxacin is also available as an oral solution and eye drops. It is also given as intravenous under the supervision of the Healthcare providers.
- The medicine is used to cure bacterial infections.
Levofloxacin can fix the following conditions in adults
- inhalational Anthrax
- urinary tract infection
- kidney infection
- skin infection
- sinus infection
- chronic prostate infection
The Healthcare expert may prescribe Levofloxacin alone out as a combination of therapy.
How does the medicine work?
The medicine belongs to fluoroquinolone antibiotic, which is the class of drugs used to treat infections. Levofloxacin Works By identifying the bacteria that cause disease and then killing it. The medicine is only meant to cure bacterial infections and nothing else. Levofloxacin oral medicine can make you feel light-headed or dizzy. In such a case, you should not work on any machinery or Drive. Also, avoid doing any task that requires alertness because mental coordination is affected.
An expected side effect of Levofloxacin –
The side effects of the medicine are temporary and will eventually Go Away on their own. In case the last for more than a week, immediately consult the expert.
Serious Side Effects
On facing serious Side Effects, you should immediately get in touch with the medical health care provider or call for an ambulance. The severe side effects of the medicine include –
- Skin Rash
- faster heart rate
- sore throat
- swelling on lips
- feeling nervous or anxious
- suicidal thoughts
- Blurred vision
- Tendon damage, including tendon rupture taking place in your elbow with acute pain and inability to move.
- Numbness and peripheral neuropathy, including nerve damage in arms, feet, hands, and legs.
- Muscular or joint pain
- Yellowing of skin and eyes
- Severe diarrhea accompanied by stomach cramps, fever, and watery stools
- Heart Rhythm problem
- Enhanced sensitivity
How to prevent suicidal symptoms in the sufferer?
If you find someone practicing self-harm, simply the local emergency number and it take the following measures –
- Keep distance from the person until help arrives.
- Remove all the sharp objects, including guns, knives, and other commodities.
- Listen carefully and do not shout, judge, or argue with the person.
- Try to calm down that person
Levofloxacin interaction with other medicines
The oral medication might interact with other medicines and cause different effects. Before your physician prescribes Levofloxacin, make sure that you reveal the names of all the drugs and drugs to reduce the possibilities of side effects. Levofloxacin can interact with any medication that is based on vitamins, herbs, or supplements. It also has potential interaction, and you can ask your doctor or pharmacist how to manage both the medications together. Certain drugs that induce the Risk of Side Effects consume Levofloxacin, and certain medicines can reduce the side effect. The list of such drugs is as follows –
- Insulin and oral diabetes medicines decrease the blood sugar levels in your body and can create an adverse reaction when mixed with Levofloxacin.
- Warfarin can induce bleeding, and the doctor has to monitor the case very carefully.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can also increase the risk of central nervous system stimulation. Reveal in case you have a history of seizures.
- Levofloxacin can reduce blood pressure and heartbeat.
The drug that can reduce the effect of Levofloxacin
The more effectively Levofloxacin works, the sooner the recovery will be. However, certain medications can reduce the workability of the therapy. Such drugs include –
- sucralfate, multivitamins, antacids, magnesium, zinc, and Aluminium based supplement can reduce the effect of Levofloxacin and nullify the impact. Consume Levofloxacin before or after these drugs at a minimum time gap of 2 hours.
How to consume Levofloxacin?
Your doctor or Health Care expert will provide you with the exact dosage. That depends on the conditions. Several factors that determine the dose of the medicine include-
- The severity of the condition
- history of kidney damage
Patients are initially recommended with a low dose. Over time, the Healthcare expert might increase it with time.
Levofloxacin forms and strength
- Strength – 250 mg, 500 mg, 750 mg
- Form – oral tablet
The prescribed dosage for pneumonia
- Pneumonia caught in Hospital – 750 MG taken once a day up to 7 days.
- Community-acquired pneumonia 750 MG taken once a day for five – 7 days.
Dosage for children up to 17 years-
- The drug is not recommended for children below 17 years of age.
Dosage for adults above 65 years of age
Kidneys of older people might not work well and can create problems in processing the drug. As a result, the Risk of Side Effects is induced. The adult Kidneys might be unable to filter the drug, and it remains in the body for a more extended period. Your doctor might recommend a shallow dose of the medicine and check the levels from time to time.
The recommended dosage for acute bacterial sinusitis
Dosage for adults between 18 – 64 years
500 mg to be taken once a day for 10 – 14 days. Alternatively, you can go for 750 MG medicine to be taken once a day for five days. The intensity of the bacterial infection determines the dosage.
The recommended dosage for acute bacterial infection because of chronic bronchitis
Ideal dosage – 500 mg to be taken once a day for seven days
The recommended dosage for bacterial skin infections
- Complicated skin issues require a deposit of 750 mg to be taken once a day for 7 – 14 days
- Uncomplicated skin diseases can be 500 mg dose to be taken once in a day for up to 7 – 10 days
The recommended dosage for chronic bacterial prostatitis
500 mg to be taken once a day for 28 Days
The recommended dosage for urinary tract infections
- A complicated urinary tract infection requires a prescription of 250 mg to be taken once a day for around ten days. alternatively, one can choose 750 mg to be taken once a day for up to 5 days
- Uncomplicated urinary tract infection requires 250 MB to be taken once a day for three days
Recommended Dosage for inhalational Anthrax
500 mg to be taken once a day for 60 days
The recommended dose for the plague
500 mg to be taken once a day for 10 – 14 days
- The drug might interact with other medicines and can create tendon rupture or informational issues. This can mainly happen if you are above 60 years of age for consuming corticosteroid drugs and the treatment. Also, people with a history of heart and long for Kidney Disease have a higher risk of side effects.
- Nervous damage can take place in the software as a temporary or permanent effect. This may induce sensation in feet and legs or arms. Stop the consumption of the drug if in case the symptoms of neuropathy are experienced. Other symptoms, including numbness, weakness, tingling, or burning, must be noted.
- The effect of the drug can impact the central nervous system and induce convolutions. With induced pressure inside the head, the drug can create hallucinations, confusion in society and education. It can also create problems in sleeping by causing nightmares, depression, and paranoia. Make sure that you consult the expert if suicidal thoughts or any such mental diseases are experienced.
- The drug does not create any side effects if you consume it in a respected way. It is only a method to cure bacterial infections, Chronic Bronchitis, Sinusitis, urinary tract infections, and other uncomplicated diseases.
Liver damage warning
Levofloxacin can cause damage to the liver, and the symptoms can be temporary or permanent. Signs of liver damage include weakness, tenderness, fever, stomach pain, and abdominal pain. Unusual tiredness, light-colored bowel movement, lack of appetite, dark-colored urine, yellow skin, and itching can cause liver damage.
Heart Rhythm changes warning.
If you feel an unusual heart Rhythm, get in touch with the health expert right away because it can be a sign of severe side effects. Low blood potassium levels can occur as a side effect of the medicine.
Throat tightness, skin Rash, Rapid heartbeat are a few symptoms of allergic reactions. Call the local poison control Centre immediately or get in touch with the doctor to reverse the impact. The medicine is not meant for breastfeeding women as it can get into the baby who is being breastfed. Talk to your doctor and consume the drug only after being recommended if you are a breastfeeding woman.